Ellen Page On Coming Out As Gay: "I Expected So Much More Hate"

Ellen Page spoke out about coming out as gay in the June issue of Flare.


Just in case you have missed it, Page, 27, revealed she was a lesbian during her speech at the LGBT conference "Time to THRIVE" in February.



When asked about that moment, Page claimed she was "very, very nervous."

"You think you're in a place where you're all "I'm thrilled to be gay, I have no issues about being gay anymore, I don't feel shame about being gay," but you actually do," the "Juno" star confessed to the Canadian magazine.


Page was quoted as saying: "You're just not fully aware of it. I think I still felt scared about people knowing. I felt awkward around gay people; I felt guilty for not being myself."


Page stated she is currently single and although she is unwilling to open up about past affairs, she pointed out she will "always be happy to talk about being gay."


"You hear things like: "People shouldn't know about your life because you're creating an illusion on-screen." But I don't see other actresses going to great lengths to hide their heterosexuality," Page explained, noting: "That's an unfair double standard."


Page was impressed by the public's overall reaction.

"I expected so much more hate," Page told the mag, adding: "It was just remarkably positive, which is beautiful, because it's indicative of the change that's happening."


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts