Melissa McCarthy: "My 20s Were Decade Of Tears"

Melissa McCarthy discussed her journey from "tears to triumph" in a new People cover story.


McCarthy, 43, recalled: "In my 20s I used to cry about why I wasn't thinner or prettier, but I want to add that I also used to cry about things like: "I wish my hair would grow faster. I wish I had different shoes…I was an idiot…It's a decade of tears."


On screen, Melissa is extremely confident.




"I'll do almost anything for a laugh," McCarthy pointed out, noting: "I'm completely delighted by people who think: "I don't care what anybody else thinks, I look great in this, and I rock it and I love it." It's such a delightful sort of confidence."


Despite her different body type compared to the majority of Hollywood actresses, McCarthy revealed to the outlet: "I've never felt like I needed to change."




McCarthy said of her haters: "I've always thought: "If you want somebody different, pick somebody else." But sure, criticism can sometimes still get to me. Some things are so malicious, they knock the wind out of you."


The comedian is a bit annoyed that her weight tends to be among the first things that get mentioned in pieces about her, including one that referred to her as "America's plus-size sweetheart."

"It's like I'm managing to achieve all this success in spite of my affliction," Melissa lamented, adding: "Would you ever put that in the headline for a male star?"


But she is really pleased by her success.

"(Husband Ben Falcone) and I will have moments where we look at each other and go: "This is not bad at all." I feel like I got hit with a lucky stick," McCarthy joked.


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts