Angelina Jolie Writes NYT Article On Iraqi Refugee Suffering

Angelina Jolie has recently written a piece after visiting Iraq over the weekend.  









"I have visited Iraq five times since 2007, and I have seen nothing like the suffering I'm witnessing now. I came to visit the camps and informal settlements where displaced Iraqis and Syrian refugees are desperately seeking shelter from the fighting that has convulsed their region," Jolie, 39, wrote in the New York Times.


Angelina went on: "For many years I have visited camps, and every time, I sit in a tent and hear stories. I try my best to give support. To say something that will show solidarity and give some kind of thoughtful guidance. On this trip I was speechless."

"What do you say to the 13-year-old girl who describes the warehouses where she and the others lived and would be pulled out, three at a time, to be raped by the men?" the actress asked, noting: "When her brother found out, he killed himself."

Jolie added: "What does it say about our commitment to human rights and accountability that we seem to tolerate crimes against humanity happening in Syria and Iraq on a daily basis? It is not enough to defend our values at home, in our newspapers and in our institutions. We also have to defend them in the refugee camps of the Middle East, and the ruined ghost towns of Syria."


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts